Pages


Friday, March 9, 2012

Yes Actually I Do Still Scrapbook

I thought I'd share a layout with you today that I never got around to posting.   I made this layout using the Club Ruby January Kit.  This kit (and some others) is now on MEGA SALE at Craft-e-Corner for only $23.99 - which is a total steal - so get yours now before they are sold out.

Here's a pic of the goodies in the kit which is called Fun for Boys & Girls:
Since I have two girls, it was pretty easy to come up with some awesome girly stuff with this kit.  Like these letters I made for their room:

And this super cute owl frame - also for their room:

And I even had enough left over to make this card too:

So as you can see, I had no trouble with the girl stuff.  But what should I do with the boy supplies?  How about a layout for one of my male children - one of the ones with fur....
This is Boomer and I know it's hard to see his face.  He is the blackest of black dogs and no matter what, I have trouble getting detailed photographs of him.  He's a miniature schnauzer - a really small one at only 10 pounds but he is full of energy and he is very much my loyal and devoted companion.  I snapped this pic with my phone right after bringing him home from the groomers.  My girls would prefer a bow, but the bandana seems more appropriate, don't you think??

Anyway...

Here's my favorite part of the layout:

I love making my own embellishments for my papercrafts and that's what I did here with this mini-doggy treat dish made from a smooshed bottle cap (in the kit), some plastic bones that I've had in my stash forever and Glossy Accents.

First you have to smoosh the bottle cap - I use my Cuttlebug.  Put them face up on the A plate:

Then place one of your metal dies on top of the caps and cover with the B plate:

Run it through your Cuttlebug and TA-DA!  smooth, flat caps:

Then I placed a few of the bones in the cap and arranged them how I wanted:

And then I carefully added some Glossy Accents.  Set aside and let dry.  It's going to take awhile, so leave it overnight if you can.  (Otherwise you will be tempted to keep sticking your finger in it to see if it's dry.  Trust me on this one).

Here's your totally unique, super quick and easy, dog-gone cute handmade embellishment:

So what did you think?  Will you try smooshing your own bottle caps?  What will YOU put inside?  Leave me a comment and let me know what you are going to make.

Now...
Go Scrap Something!


Britten

5 comments:

  1. That doggy bowl is the absolute CUTEST embellishment I have EVER seen!!! I never thought of using them on a layout...now I have to go buy some bottle caps. LoL Thanx, Britten! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great idea, but I've got some questions: Face up meaning the smooth side? It's hard to tell in the picture. And how does the die NOT leave marks on the bottle cap? I'm diggin' (getit? dogs? diggin'?) the smooshed bottle cap more than the regular ones. You're a genius!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's really cute. I thought the bottle caps were cute but kind of "klunky". I like them smooshed. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First I will have to get a cuttlebug. This was a great idea and a really cute doggie dish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in the same boat...I NEED a Cuttlebug! I've been pining for quite a while, now there's another use for it! I love the "dog bowl", complete with bones. My 5 year old daughter is looking with me, and notices that Boomer looks like our dog Toto!

    ReplyDelete